ARE YOU INTERESTED IN JOINING A GROUP OF LEADERS, PASSIONATE ABOUT SUPPORTING ATLANTA MOMS?
We are looking for responsible, passionate, culturally-competent, dedicated board members to join the leadership at The Mom Community. Our board members are responsible for ensuring our organization is fiscally sound with a strong strategic direction.
Board member responsibilities include:
- Attend monthly board meetings.
- Attend organizational functions, and act as an advocate and ambassador for the organization within the greater Atlanta community.
- Keep abreast of budgets, capital and strategic plans and other important indicators and matters identified by the Board Chair and Executive Director.
- Assist in identifying and recruiting candidates for Board positions.
- Support the Director, and periodically, evaluate their performance.
WHY IS THE MOM COMMUNITY NEEDED?
Of the babies born in the 30314 zip code in the past 12 months, 82% were born to single moms. More than half of these families are living in poverty.
Many young moms drop out of school when they become pregnant, which impacts their ability to get a job and provide for their family. Housing instability is a chronic problem, and, along with economic stress, unreliable childcare, and lack of supportive family systems, makes providing for children extremely challenging for young moms.
Children raised in single-parent families are more likely to have children at a young age, continuing a generational cycle. Without support, moms sometimes lose custody of their children.
OUR ON-BOARDING PROCESS FOR BOARD MEMBERS:
- Potential Board Member Meets with Current Board Member or Executive Director
- Complete Board Application
- Board Interview + Voting Meeting
- Board Member is Nominated
- New Board Member Completes Paperwork
- Begin Attending Board Meetings